Translate

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Giants (The Bigger They Are The Harder They Fall)


All my life I have faced very large hurdles or obstacles. Being that I am a black male in America , short and a single parent, my hurdles or obstacles are sometimes larger than the average person. I often think back on my days in high school, when I was only a freshman. One day I went to school and had to face what most teenage males face everyday, a bully. At that time I had my very first encounter with fear. Outside of fearing my mother or father, I never feared anything and the only reason I ever had to fear them, was if I did something wrong or when I did something I wasn't suppose to. Because if I did then I would be severely punished. Anyway, I was on my way to my locker and then there he was (the bully), a tall and very big guy, which to me at  the time  looked like a giant. I was so scared and I think he knew this because took advantage of the situation. He asked me for my lunch money and to keep from getting my butt kicked I gave it to him. Latter on that day, I went home and my father asked me how was my day. I told him my day went well, but to avoid getting into a fight I gave up my lunch money. My father was so mad I thought that he was going to kill me! He said these words to me that I will never forget," Son, there are only a few things in this world you will ever  have to fear and its not man". One you should always fear God , because only he has the power to give life and the power to take it away. And the other is your mother and I". Why I asked ? Well because if you do something you shouldn't be doing you will be punished. Whew! I still get chills from that conversation, because my parents didn't play and they meant  business.(smile) For those who were raised in the seventies you understand where I am coming from. Back then parents had the liberty to punish their children and my parents never spared the rod.

 After I got a lecture from my father on why I shouldn't fear man, my father told me to go back to school and face my fear.(And I am writing this in a nice way) He said go back to school and if that bully tries to take your lunch money again, hit him with everything you have! The very next day I went back to school,then went back to my locker and there he was waiting to take my lunch money again. The bully asked me , Where is my lunch money? I looked in my locker and prepared myself to fight, then said not today! At that time I knew it was time to over come my fear. He grabbed me and was ready to hit me, then before he could land a lick, I hit him with all my might. I threw as many punches as I could before someone came and broke us up. After that fight I earned respect not only from my bully, but for other students  around me. That day I over came my fear and that scary giant fell. After school was over I went back home and there my father was waiting. He said," Charles, did you do what I asked of you? I told him yes. He had a smile on his face that would light up any room. He told me that he was proud of me, not because I stood up to the bully, but  because I over came my fear. He went on to say son , never let anyone take advantage of you, even in your moments of weakness. Some battles we face are not fought with our hands , but with our heads. Some of the battles we face are the ones we fear, because most of us fear the unknown. We fear living alone, scared of taking chances or fear trying something new. We also sometimes get intimidated when we meet people that are more powerful or knowledgeable than us. But we shouldn't fear them because they are only human and only obtain their strength or power through fear.That is why its so important to read the bible, then get an education and to understand the lessons that your mother or I teach you. In this world you will have to fight many battles and you will not be able to face them alone, if you live in fear. If a battle is to be won, you should always put the ones that seem impossible to win, in the hands of the Mighty God. Because God has the power to conquer all giants and none are as powerful as he.To anyone who is blessed enough to read this, if there is a giant, an obstacle,mountain, hill or problem in your life and if they always seem to get in your way. Call on the power of Jesus and they shall be moved or conquered. Always remember this while living your life there is no problem that can not be solved. The bigger the problem, obstacle or mountain, the harder they shall fall, in Jesus name we pray. Amen!
Have a blessed evening,
Charles
Ecclesiastes 8:13 But it shall not be well with the wicked, neither shall he prolong his days, which are as a shadow; because he fears not before God.

No comments:

Post a Comment