Translate

Friday, May 27, 2011

Can You Be?

When I was younger, I distincly remember either my mother or my father asking me this question,"Charles what do you want to be when you grow up?" Being young and naive I told them that I wanted to be a scientist. As any proud parent would do, they encouraged me and said these very same words as I have said to my own children.(You can do or be anything if you put your mind to it) This statement has been said or used by many caring parents everyday. But I added to this statement now that I am a parent myself. I would ask my own son this question , Marcus can you be? I remember him saying to me, Dad what are you talking about can I be? That's when I explained to him that everyone has a dream or thought , but to make it happen takes time,effort and plenty of sacrifice. As a child I wanted to be a scientist, but after I grew up I realized that being a scientist requires many years of college. So I determined that I did not want to sacrifice that much of my time and went into another direction. Through out my many years of life I have had many dreams, wants and desires. I dreamed one day I would be married, with kids, a house and a successful career. I know if you are reading this, you would be saying to yourself," Well everything you just dreamed about is attainable so what happen?" Well to tell you the truth in most cases I wasn't ready and I didn't properly prepare myself. When I became a father, it was at a time when I was young and immature. I didn't really understand what being a real father was all about. When I got married, I didn't understand what being a husband or what  being married really meant. Also when I seek out my career I didn't really apply myself they way I should and prepare myself financially. After some thought I forget or neglected to ask myself these questions, Can I be a father? Can I really be a good  husband? Am I ready for the career that I chose? Am I ready to make the necessary sacrifices to be what or who I want to be? Can I handle being away from my children or family when I move to another city, state or country? Am I properly prepared? These are the questions that many of us neglect to ask ourselves before we make serious decisions. I have also found as a born again christen, that even some of us forget that consulting God before we make any decision is very important. As my son looked at me after I got through running my mouth. He looked both confused and exhausted. Then I looked at him and smiled. I said ,Son I know I talk a lot, preach a lot and seem to fuss a lot. But I only do these things because I love you.  I also want you to be prepared for the outside world and before you do or be anything in life, please ask yourself this question. Can I be? To those who may  have taken time to read this, think about who you are and what you want to be, before you do it. Because as my father would say there is a consequence for every action, good or bad. Properly prepare yourself before you take or do anything seriously. Always pray, then consult God before you make a decision and before you say ,what you  want  to be  in life. Make sure you know what you are talking about. Anybody can say they can be a good husband or a good wife. Anybody can say they can be a good parent or be successful in whatever career they may chose. But the question is can you really be who you say you are or who you may want to be? So think before you leap and always pray, then seek or consult God for an answer.
May God continue to bless you always,
Charles
Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'

No comments:

Post a Comment