Translate

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sticks Or Stones



As I think back on my child hood memories, I often think back on the games we played as children. Some of the games we played were innocent , but while others at times could be very mean. The games we played that were mean, were the ones when we talked about our parents or when we talked about our other classmates or friends. At that time it was called playing the dozen. I laugh at it now, but growing up in my time you had to have some very tuff skin,because we would talk about each others mothers , fathers and would talk about each other so bad that we would often argue or fight. But back then talking about each other or poking fun at each other was just a game and we really didn't mean any harm. These are some of the words we would say to each other if we couldn't come up with something clever to blow back or express ourselves ." Sticks or stones may break my bones, but your words could never hurt me". Back then it was all fun, but once my mother found out about it, my siblings and I were severely punished. She would say Chuck! Stop being so mean to your sisters' and brothers! If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all! Like children always do, we often got each other in trouble. We would act like we were crying or hurt just to get the other one punished. But now that I am grown up, I began to realize in the outside word that you can't play the games children play and people take what you say seriously. Even when I am angry I take time to think about what I am going to say before I say it. Like my father would always say, "Think son before you react. Because once you said something or expressed yourself, it could never be undone. After all son its been said that calmer heads prevail. I had to learn the hard way that just because someone says something mean to you or says something that may be untrue and lie. That if a person act out their feelings while being angry no one wins, but the devil.

In the world we live in there is so much, anger, depression. stress and suffering ,that is when most of us have been guilty of saying some very harsh words. Words spoken out of anger can leave a lasting impression, that could hurt feelings, cause mental stress; break up friendships, relationships and marriages. These words we speak when feeling all these emotions are not very thought out and are said when we are not thinking correctly or with a sound mind. After the damage has been done and we realize what we have done, then most of us try to make up for ,it by asking for forgiveness, saying we are sorry or even trying to explain ,why those harmful words were spoken. But we all must realize is that once you say something, you could never take it back and the power of a spoken word can either help someone or they can harm someone. That why we all have to be very careful before we speak, because some people can't handle that type of language emotionally .Also what all of us must realize is that no one could know what's going on in another persons home. What I mean by this is, they could be having a hard time with their mother,father, children, husband or wife. They could also be behind on their bills or out of work. These are just some of the things that stress people out everyday, that can cause many to snap, then cause them to do things they wouldn't ordinary do. If you find yourself feeling angry, depressed or stressed out, take a step back and think about it, before you open your mouth. Ask God for the proper words to get your point across and say something useful, instead of something you may have to apologize for latter or feel guilty. Because its not what you say, its how you say it, that makes a big difference when you are trying to get your point across.
For those with anger issues I offer this prayer ", God I am angry, I need your strength and wisdom, so that I can say something constructive and positive to fix this situation". I know Lord with your wisdom you can and will help me resolve this issue, in a christian way '. So guide me oh Lord, instruct me in your  ways , so that this conversation will be a blessing for the both of us and you will get the glory. For Sticks Or Stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me, in Jesus name , we pray. Amen.
Have a blessed week,
Charles
Proverbs 18:21
The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
Matthew 12:36
But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken.




No comments:

Post a Comment