Translate

Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Journey Toward Christ


Since I was old enough to remember, I always knew about God but never had a real relationship with him. My mother and father used to take my siblings and I to church every Sunday. I grew up and was raised as a Catholic. It seems that both my mother and father wasn't quite comfortable with that choice , because they often switch religions on us.(One day Catholic, the next day Baptist and the next Jehovah witnesses) I remember one day some Jehovah witnesses came over, then a few weeks after that we were attending their church. I think both my mother and father were trying to find a church that they felt they could get the true meaning of God from. When the time came for me to be on my own, I used to go to church sparingly. I used my new found freedom from my parents, to explore the world. My life then was about having fun and chasing the women. When ever I had the opportunity to attend church, I would do almost anything to avoid going. I remember one day after a long day at work I over heard some co-workers of mine talking about God. They had their bibles on their desk, talking about how good God has been to them. To me at that time it was strange talk and I wondered to myself, how could anybody be so deep into religion .
It wasn't until one day I fell on hard times that I started my long road toward Jesus. I remember shortly after Hurricane Andrew arrived ,that I lost my job and had to move back home with my parents. It was my very first failure and I was very disappointed in myself. I never thought that I could loose my job and it was embarrassing to me to have to move back in with my parents. I was so proud then and I didn't like asking anybody for help. I remember my mother looking at me asking me this question, What wrong baby? I replied nothing! Then she looked at me under her glasses and said," Chucky, you better stop being so proud"! We all fall on hard sometimes, you just have dust yourself off and get back up again. There is nothing wrong with a person asking for help, besides that we are family. When you feel troubled all you have to do is pray. Ask God to forgive you and he will make a way out of nothing. I looked at my mother with a puzzled look in my eyes and she said Chucky you do know who your father is do you? I said ,"Yes mom, of course I do he raised me". Then she looked at me and said "I am not talking about your birth father, I am talking about our Father, the one that created us all". God and his son Jesus"! Even after that talk I still didn't have a relationship with God and didn't really know who he was or what he was all about. But I did as my mother said I dusted myself off then got back up again.
Over the years, I attended different churches. The reason for me going to those churches were because the women I dated attended them and I was trying to impress them. I remember after service one day after church an older lady walk up to my girlfriend and I , then asked her was I a Pastor. She looked at me and laughed. She went on to say " him a Pastor? He is the biggest sinner there is! I was so mad and embarrassed, but she was telling the truth. Then that old lady looked at me and said," God has a plan and purpose for your life". I see great things in you and one day you will become something great! I said to her are you sure me? Why would you say that? She just smile and said," Because I know and God told me so". I didn't know then, but I know now that she planted a seed and it began to grow. After that conversation I paid attention to what the Pastors said in church more, then looked for myself the true meaning of God. I prayed and things good things started to happen in my life. Almost ever thing I prayed for came to past and God started to bless me. But it wasn't until my biggest failure(My divorce) that my relationship with God our Father began to grow.
I remember a prayer that I prayed one night on my knees to God. I asked him to send me a wife and I will give up all my sinful ways. Then shortly after that I met, what I thought  was  the woman of my dreams. We got married and I moved to the state that she lived in. We attended church together every Sunday and I was even  thinking about becoming a deacon because I enjoyed serving God so much. Life was good and God was blessing our marriage financially. Even though our marriage wasn't an perfect one, it was a good one, so I thought. One day after Christmas my wife came home with a strange look on her face. Me being the type of man I was, I asked her what was wrong. She went to say she didn't love me anymore and she wanted a divorce. She asked me to move out and to take my son with me. I was crushed and my heart broken! When I asked her why? Then she went on to say, this marriage is not what I expected it to be and its all about money and things.( I found out latter that she had another man) I told her that I would do anything to save our marriage, but she wouldn't even give our marriage a chance. I prayed and asked God for help. I even went to her parents (which loved me) for help, but nothing worked. So I moved out with my son with a broken heart. I prayed everyday and asked God for strength. Because I needed it more then, because I was now raising my son on my own. It was hard going through a divorce, but God got me through it and shortly after that I gave my life to Christ. Without God in my life at that time I would have been lost . He kept me humble and sane . I smiled even when times were hard, because I knew that some how he would make a way for my son and I. He delivered me, then taught me how to be a father and a better man. I could have become bitter, but my journey toward Christ saved me. Now I am living my life for Christ and I wouldn't change a thing. To the person or persons that are reading my true life testimony, I have this to say, if you give your life to Jesus your life will never be the same again.
Have a blessed Sunday,
Charles
Matthew 28:19 Go you therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and
of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

No comments:

Post a Comment