Translate

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mind Over Matter

I remember as a youth, when I would come home with my report card , how I used to fear both my father and my mother. The reason for this fear is because, if I happen too have a bad grade on it, then I would be severely punished. My siblings and I grew up in a home where failure wasn't an option. Like my father would put it, being a failure doesn't apply to the family name and in fact it was an embarrassment to fail. I remember one day after nine weeks of school, I came home with an report card with two failing grades on it. When I walked into the door I could see, my mother standing there washing dishes. Then she turned around and said , "Son how was school today"? From the look in her eyes, I thought that she already knew how my day went and also knew what type of grades I had on my report card. My mother had a way, that's hard to explain. She could look at a person with her big old eyes that could stare into a persons soul and she had this ability to reads minds. It was impossible to lie to her, but that didn't stop me from trying. (smile) I remember answering my mother by saying, "It went okay, momma".

Then she looked at me with those big old eyes then said, "Well did you get your report card today"? I thought about lying, but I was already in trouble with the two bad grades on my report card. So I told her yes I have my report card. After looking at my report card , I could tell that my mother was angry and very disappointed in me. She looked at me ,then said," Chucky, explain to me why you have these bad grades and don't lie too me"! I said well momma, I just can't do it and I am not smart enough. Geometry and Calculus is just too hard for me. When I said this I thought my mother would hit the roof and boy was I scared! But for some strange reason she didn't react the way I expected her too. I thought I was going to get a whipping, but instead my mother surprised me, by explaining to me that what I thought was hard wasn't really hard at all. She then went on to say, Son there is nothing in this world you can't do, if you just apply yourself, believe in yourself and have faith. When I had this confused look on my face, she said something even more confusing. Son its mind over matter. I looked at my mother and said," Momma what do you mean by that statement"? Then she smile and said," Well its simple, if you believe you are a failure, then therefore you will be a failure. But if you believe you are intelligent, smart and  successful then you will be. Son before you can do anything you have to first believe that you can. You must have confidence in yourself. You also have to speak and think things into existence. She went on to say, Son your father and I believe in you, we know you are very capable of doing and achieving anything you set your mind too. That's why I said mind over matter. Because when you are presented with a challenge, if you used your mind that God has blessed you with then the problems you may face will not matter. Why? Well if you use your mind, then you can think things out, learn from your mistakes and solve the problem. So go to school tomorrow ask your teacher questions, then learn geometry and calculus. Because if you can over come the tests, the trials or tribulations that you face in school today, then you will be able to handle the problems of the world tomorrow. Use your mind son! Because if you use your mind then the rest shouldn't  matter. Its very simple its just, Mind Over Matter.
Have a blessed day,
Charles

 Proverbs 28:26 He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe.





No comments:

Post a Comment